Sunday, February 1, 2009

This has been a pretty fine weekend! The other night Raquel and I watched Heathers, Trainspotting and Femme Fatale. Seeing Trainspotting again makes me think Danny Boyle could well have been somebody.

Saturday - most of the day I spent reading, did some homework, a WebCT posting, then we went out to dinner at the Texas Roadhouse - this, around six. After that to the mall, then we dashed out to Vintage Stock (to buy Saw IV) then to Gardner's Books which was closed. Rachel and I watched Saw IV, then we finished off the night with Smooth Talk. I really can't breathe for the last half-hour of that movie.

Today, then, half-watched a ton of Battlestar Galactica with Raquel, Matt and Kyle. (We started off with Assassination of Jesse James which was a disappointment somewhat in the vein I'd expected - sub-Malickian lyricism consisting of clouds drifting, fields wavering, overstated mythic mumbling. Turned it off about half an hour in - maybe I'll catch it on TV soon.)

In the afternoon we went to the library for more BSG and I checked out Contempt and started watching it - oh, it's quite good so far, but feels actively hostile toward itself. A certain sense of conscious smothering from the Delerue soundtrack weeping over every scene, and yet moments like the intertwining interior monologues from Paul and Camille - yes, gorgeous. I really want to watch that Four Short Films DVD again.

In the evening Raquel and Amy and Matt and I went out for dinner. First couple places we showed up at were closed so we finally went for pizza, something tasty. Now I just got out of a calming bath and I've been reading Girls Like Us - a biography of the musical lives of Carole King, Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon. This is pretty good. I also have Book of Disquiet to start soon but I'm kinda dragging my heels, certain it's gonna be depressing. For tomorrow's class, Harriet Jacobs and Frederick Douglass. I ate a ton of ice cream earlier, but I'm still hungry, this is weird!

No comments: