Saturday, February 7, 2009

I just finished listening to the latest Mitsuhiro Yoshimura release, which finds him with Toshiya Tsunoda and Taku Sugimoto. It's wonderful, of course, but anyone could have guessed I'd say that.

The confidence of this recording! There's something so tentative about Sachiko M's sine waves, but here it's one plateau mounting another: a crucial, thrilling passage a little after halfway in where the pure tones of (I assume) the three different musicians intertwine at intervals and then drop out, leaving the wavering buzz of (again assuming) Yoshimura's headphones alone - then a pure sine wave enters the mix again, receding and gaining ground. Accustomed as I am to this kind of music, I was nervous of playing it at full volume.


Over the last two nights I realized I really can't sleep to music. Thursday I made it to sleep while listening to Echospace, but drifted unpleasantly in and out of a doze until I turned it off. Last night Brian Eno's Apollo wouldn't let me sleep at all - such a beautiful album that I kept waiting for the next sound, and those steel guitars.

A beautiful day outside too! I thought of going out and reading, but nah. I have A Wedding and The Third Mother to watch later - the latter I've been anticipating literally for years.

1 comment:

raquel said...

I too am reviewing a Japanese release today, but so far it isn't getting high marks.