Saturday, October 4, 2008

Going to the liquor store later, I think, to get some wine for a dinner party a friend is hosting tonight. Though I've been able to buy booze for a couple of years now, there's still almost nothing more terrifying than the sudden relentlessness of choice I face when walking into such a store. I suppose I could always ask for help - "what goes well with pasta?" which I actually asked my dad last night - but then there's the odd contract of expectation one enters into, the implied insult of turning down a suggestion. Usually I do fine by chance anyway.

Prurient: hearing now Cocaine Death, a compilation of EPs, I think. Six or seven new releases this year alone to catch up on, now that I'm really hooked. And then, hey, this interview. Hearing this music on MP3 is necessary for me, but an odd reappropriation of its physicality, which Fernow puts at issue elsewhere. I wonder what frequencies I miss but then remember my hearing is damaged anyway. I especially like Fernow's notion - by now a commonplace I guess, but still worth restating - that electroacoustic material is as harsh as "harsh" noise. In the light of this year's Arrowhead album I wonder whether he's heard Mitsuhiro Yoshimura.

No comments: